Saturday, May 5, 2012

RECIPE: Healthy Tuna Salad (Only 5 WW Points Plus!)


I LOVE to make this healthy, simple tuna salad for lunch or a light dinner! The whole thing, including the little whole wheat bread thins, is only 5 Weight Watchers Points Plus, for those of you working on your summer figures (as I feel I am perpetually doing. and then not doing. and then doing again...pattern, anyone?).

Here's the low-down on how to make this recipe at home, and good substitutions. One thing to know: my secret ingredient for this? PAPRIKA! Yep, that's right, paprika!

Ingredients:
  • Chunk-light tuna or albacore in water (NO OIL! I like to buy the ones in the pouches because you don't have to drain them, refrigerate them and they are perfect to keep at work in your desk!)
  • 1 tbl fat free or light mayonnaise
  • 1 chopped persian cucumber OR large stick of celery (you can use either depending on what you have avail. the point here is to add a nice CRUNCH to your salad! I like the Persian Cucubmers because you can eat them with the skin on and it's filled with fiber)
  • Salt, red or black pepper & paprika

Directions:
  1. Dice the cucumber or celery into perfect little cubes. I like them pretty small because they look pretty, and i like each forkful to have a nice balance of the fish and the crunch.
  2. Drain the tuna and place in a medium bowl. Use your fork to break it up into little chunks.
  3. Add the mayo; mix it up well.
  4. Add the diced cucumber or celery on top; season with salt & pepper to taste, then pour on the paprika to your level of comfort. (i like a LOT of it! especially if it's smoked paprika).
  5. Mix everything together well.
  6. Toast up some healthy whole wheat bread (I use the mini sandwich thins in this photo). I like to make the plate pretty so before I serve everything, i take the toasted sandwich rounds and cut them into fourths so that i have little triangle toasts. Makes me forget that I'm eating what is considered "diet food", and makes for a nice plate if you are serving this for a lunch!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what YOUR best Tuna Salad recipe is, and if you have a secret ingredient that makes it uniquely yours!

Peace, Love & Progress,
D :)

2 comments:

  1. Love this salad :) Beautiful photos u took !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Healthy Recipes!! I LOVE to cook and take photos of the food. I plate pretty even if it's just me eating!!!

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing from you, and yes, i do really read the comments. i share, you share, we build upon our knowledge, and together, we learn! blogging on the shoulders of giants... :)