Monday, May 28, 2012

Fire Escape Succulent Garden+Terrariums!


Before you freak out about fire safety, I live in an old brownstone building from 1898, and all of the fire escapes facing public streets have been converted to wrought iron balconies, so my 4-stories-up garden is NOT a fire hazard to anyone. :)

For the last few weeks, I've been obsessed with terrariums. I bought a large one for home and a mini one for my desk at work from a booth at last month's Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk (for more info on Art Walk, click HERE.) 

I have also been cultivating the above types of succulents on my fire escape for the last 6 years, and I've gotten pretty good at planting and replanting them and letting them grow as a sort of a secret garden out there. Also, these are pretty much the only plants that survive out there, because my windows face east, and there is SO much sunlight out there, that normal, leafy plants dry up and burn out. Trust me, I've tried. A few times. :)

Anyhow, I figured that if i can keep these succulents alive outside on my hot-as-hell fire escape, surely I can grow them in delicate glass structured indoors? I guess we shall see! I just bought some active charcoal, a key ingredient for terrariums, and in indoor terrarium book. Check back for updates!

Do YOU have a terrarium? Any tips you can share with me as a novice terrarium-er? Is there a proper word for someone who makes terrariums? If so, I want to be one. :)

peace, love & progress!

D

1 comment:

  1. Wow great post! It seems like you're really living it up. I don't have a terrarium yet, but i'm going to a homemade terrarium activity in LA this Sunday. We'll be making our own terrariums and taking it home to decorate my desk. Anyone can join also. It's by Lifecrowd.com. https://www.lifecrowd.com/activity/homemade-terrariums/2844

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing from you, and yes, i do really read the comments. i share, you share, we build upon our knowledge, and together, we learn! blogging on the shoulders of giants... :)