Friday, May 4, 2012

Carrot Apple Ginger Juice + Pretty Bottles

I finally got to the juicing! Because it's a bit of a process that involves a lot of clean up, I tend to do a bunch of juice at once, and I bottle it in these lovely glass bottles that I save whenever I buy that fun sparkling Italian soda from Trader Joe's or the grocery store. And even though fresh juice starts to lose vitamins the longer it hits air after it's been made, I feel like day-old fresh juice has still gotta be great for you!

Check out the pictorial steps on how to make it below. Enjoy!

For just 1 serving, use 1 apple, 2 medium to large carrots and as much ginger as you like (i like it spicy & love ginger!) For this recipe I had 10 Red Delicious apples, a bag of organic carrots (1 lb, i think). I also used a large ginger knob.

I'm lucky enough to have a Jack LaLane Power juicer. All you have to do is remove the stems from apples, and as long as they fit in the juicer, you are set! Alternate apples, carrots and ginger (the apples wash out remnants of the other stuff since they have the most liquid).

I use a medium sized pot with pour spouts on the sides because it helps to catch all the juices as they splash out, and because it makes it really easy to pour into the tiny-necked bottles I'm about to put it in!



Here are the bottles that I use. I remembered an old trick that I learned in college for cleaning narrow-necked bottles (don't ask but you can guess), and I adapted it to clean these out since my bottle cleaner doesn't fit into these. I took some uncooked rice and mixed it with some soap, and closed the top. I shook it around like a rattle, and the rice helped to scrub off all the insides of the bottle! I felt like a bit of a genius for thinking of this plan of attack-i've tried dishwashing these bottles and they still keep gunk all up the insides, so now I have a new method of cleaning them!


Here's another great clean-up tip: save those small plastic bags that you use in the produce section of the market, and line the receptacle of your juicer with it. When you are done, just lift the bag out and trash it...at least it's just one less thing you have to clean in the end! 


All in all, a lovely, refreshing and healthy carrot, apple & ginger juice with lots to enjoy tonight and tomorrow for breakfast!

4 comments:

  1. ps-i forgot to add that these bottles are also great for serving table water at dinner parties! just pour in the water from your filtered fridge or faucet water, and put in the fridge about an hour before dinner. voila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better tip for the pulp from your fruit.....put it in your garden and mix it in the soil. All the nutrients will feed your garden and stay out of the landfill :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Peggy-that IS a great tip! I also heard that people use it in meatloaves and other cooking situations. i wish i had a garden! i have a balcony potted garden, actually...can you use it in potted plants too? if so, i still have the bag in my trash bin and can dig it out! how much do you use per plant? i LOVE that tip...thanks so much!! :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

i love hearing from you, and yes, i do really read the comments. i share, you share, we build upon our knowledge, and together, we learn! blogging on the shoulders of giants... :)